Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sold Separately: Children and Parents in Consumer Culture

I find the idea of "deseasonalization" mentioned in the article fascinating. Years ago toys were viewed as prized possessions, received only on major holidays and/or birthdays. Today, as stated throughout the article, children are advertised in ways that convince them of a certain need to have these toys. The concept of receiving toys during holidays and birthdays seems to have been forgotten and replaced with this "desire to have everythingright now." I think this mentality holds true across the board, meaning adults share it as well. Isn't that what credit cards are for? A large part of society, those receptive to the idea of living on credit, acts in a manner similar to the children described in the Toys R Us stores. To this end, I think the fault doesn't lay upon the advertisers, but rather the "do as I say and not as I do" parental representations these kids follow.

The location of Toys R Us stores is also interesting. Having recently stopped to inquire at a local mall as to where I could purchase toys, I now fully understand the concept. A lot of my purchasing done in a mall setting is done with the idea in mind that I will subsequently have to carry my purchases for the entirety of the trip. I would be interested in knowing what the difference in purchasing amounts would be if ever Toys R Us would relocate to a mall. Separating it from the mall, as with any other individual stores outside of a mall setting, provides a different level of status to consumers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment