Thursday, October 21, 2010

Jenkins Chapter 2

1. The section of the article that focused on The Apprentice was pretty interesting. Nothing really surprised me; I've seen season one and am pretty familiar with how much emphasis there is on product placement and endorsing brands. I watched the season within the last year online after we watched one episode in a class that I have. But being in the advertising/pr program at UWM, I was able to watch and enjoy the show on a different level than the average audience. I was watching it to see how principles taught were being applied in a "real" setting. So the idea of product integration doesn't frustrate me on the show. As dorky as it may sound, it actually excites me. Maybe it is because I'd like to be in advertising one of these days, so it gives me motivation and ideas.

2. Speaking more generally, they have been selling to us via reality tv for a long time. It is a little more obvious in recent years, but it definitely isn't anything new. Looking back as early as the first few seasons of The Real World, there was product placement. Mainly in the companies that they "worked" for. But even shows like Survivor, a show that you would think would be free of products/brands, still incorporates sponsors and product integration by winning challenges. I just see it as a means to pay the bills and I don't think it is really that big of a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment