Thursday, October 21, 2010

Jenkins Chapter 2

I believe that tapping into the emotions of the consumer is a great way to build brand loyalty. I remember seeing an advertisement for Google during the 2010 Superbowl that showed how a guy used the website to study abroad, fall in love, get married and have a child. I thought it was a great, cutesy commercial that made me feel emotion, and although I already use Google, it’s something that stuck with me. Which elements of emotion make a commercial/brand stick with a person most? For example, which is going to be more memorable in a few years: the trailer for Paranormal Activity 2 or the “save the animals” campaign with Sarah McLaughlin singing in the background?

I find it interesting that there are certain public figures and groups that can offset the process of an expected result such as in the cases of Howard Stern's comic sidekick winning a spot over Leo DiCaprio in People Magazine's most beautiful people in the world and Clay Aiken's album selling 200,000 more copies than the first place winner of American Idol. If the voting system is so faulty, why do so many people still hold the final rating so dear to heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment