Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rose and Friedman

When reading this I couldn't help but think about my mom when she watches football with my dad, brother, and I. She understands the rules pretty well as the three males in her life have taught her, but when she football watches games, the majorities of her comments are about the players butts or about hits that are too hard. It makes me think how women are subjected to the obsessed minds of men and sports. For example, if there is a football game on Monday night and on another channel there is figure skating or woman's volleyball, we would watch the football game without asking my mom what she would want to watch. It actually makes me feel bad.

Another gender aspect I'm experiencing in real life is with fantasy football. I'm in a bunch of leagues, one for money with family that has been going on for about six years now and my girlfriend has been wanting to get into it for a couple years now. My brother is the commissioner of the league and he makes the decisions on who is in the league and he's been pretty avid about not expanding. But on Facebook he made a relaxed league with a bunch of random people and my girlfriend is in it. So she said that if she wins that league she should be able to play in our family league. Right now, halfway through the season, she's winning and actually just killed my brother this week. He, and myself, thought she wouldn't know what she was doing but she's actually studied and plays he right players. My brother isn't sexist or anything, he just assumed she didn't know her stuff because she wasn't that into football. My point is that, just because she's a girl, we thought she wouldn't have a clue on what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment