Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ingraham response

The idea that the Wedding Singer, the toy company, and Estee Lauder are all saying that brides are beautiful is agreeable. But what I don't agree with is Ingraham's assertion that anyone who doesn't get married is ugly. I read this argument a lot in these scholarly articles and to me these messages are telling young people that getting married is a desried thing that one can hope to achieve. To me, to discern that the messages are saying that if you don't get married you're ugly isn't right. It's tough to explain, but it seems like they're saying if you don't get married you will not be beautiful, rather than not ugly. It's a weird concept but I don't think the creators of the ads are trying to call people ugly.

How heterosexuality is portrayed so dominantly in the media makes me think about if homosexuality was the dominant way of life and if the roles could be reversed. I think they could, our society would have to be absolutely the opposite of what it is today, but it's interesting to think of how a few number of people control the thoughts of the masses which Ingraham discusses.

No comments:

Post a Comment