Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Not sure what we were supposed to read

In the email you sent you said to read what was assigned on the syllabus so I read the articles about sports masculinity and the gaming article.

In the Rose and Friedman article I liked the idea that sports is serial. I never thought about it like that and it makes perfect sense. They came back for a new season, just like on regular shows and there are finales, aka the Super Bowl. Another thing I noticed was that the article almost made me feel bad about myself for watching sports, it seemed to put masculinity in a bad light.

Reading the Gaming article made me think about when I play Halo. Some people play with a microphone on so everyone can here them before the game and every time a girl talks, all the guys go "Whoah, is that a girl?" and they actually ask her. It's an interesting thought to think that video games are such a masculine thing and when a girl is playing, to guys it's like an alien.

No comments:

Post a Comment