Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rose and Friedman

I fully agree with the soap opera take on its connectiveness with the femininity in its viewers and positioning the female spectator as "a sort of ideal mother." The point that I felt was especially spot on, however, was the way soaps focus on emotions and how women are primarily responsible for controlling the emotional work in relationships. I don't know a single man who watches soap operas, and if there has ever been a comment regarding a soap opera in front of a male around me the show has been disregarded as if it somehow defies masculinity.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the equal comparison of gendered viewing in soap operas and sports viewing. I think sports viewing has more recently become quite divided among both men and women. I do agree with the assertion that the values that it reifies are masculine, however I feel that it is not nearly to the degree that soap operas are distinctly feminine.

No comments:

Post a Comment