Thursday, September 30, 2010

Schor article

I like Schor's argument about those who can't afford day to day necessities because they spend so much on wants. For example, I lived by a very large apartment complex my whole life that was really crappy yet the people living there had better cars than my family and we had a house. I'd also see satellite dishes hanging out of their windows, if they just thought about what they were spending their money on maybe they'd not live in poor housing, I never understood that. Schor uses the line "luxury rather than comfort" which fits with what Im saying.

The idea of noninterference stuck out to me. The idea that we are able to buy whatever we want without any judgment from others I think is not the case. Family is what is most important to people and they often cast the harshest judgement. For example, my girlfriend just bought a new laptop and when her very opinionated brothers asked what kind, she told them nothing because they would criticize her choice. And if I buy anything over twenty dollars my girlfriend yells at me, so I think the idea that our consumer culture is one of noninterference is not the case, in fact I think it's the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment