Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Schor article

I found the part of the reading regarding "competitive consumption" to be especially interesting and it really does make a lot of sense. I know that I am probably guilty of it myself, without even thinking about it. Do you think the idea of "competitive consumption" applies to families. The reading defines it as keeping up with the social groups you identify with. But what about seeing how you were raised and trying to follow the footsteps of your parents?

In terms of social status, I feel like it has been around ever since society existed. People are always going to be concerned about their status, wealth, possessions, and social circles. So to say that it is becoming an increasingly bigger problem seems a little far stretched. If anything, our means to increase these things have only grown. New products come out daily, social networks create new ways to increase social circles, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment